I guess those consonants are somehow connected or one is the modulation of the other:

B - P
C - Z
D - T
F - V
G - J
H - CH as in "loch"
K - X (as in "Xania" on Crete)
L - R
M - N
S - Z

Something like this.

Cheers,
Arne

On 04/10/06, Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask] > wrote:
I had an experience this morning, and just wanted to
mention it. I was teaching an English class, and one
of my students was talking about a children's book.
She mentioned the name of a dog, which I gather is
Ribsy is something like that. But I had a terrible
time understanding it. I thought she was saying Livzy
or Linzy is something like that. And the thing is, she
is not a beginner. Her English is really quite
advanced, and for the most part we can converse about
fairly complex issues without difficulty.

Now of course, the reason we can converse normally is
probably, IMO, because a lot can be understood from
context. If I say, "I was in the galden and I saw a
pink labbit lunning by," you can probably get it. And
of course, proper names end up being misunderstood
most readily because you don't have those clues.

But in any case, I was just reminded of the fact that
the L/R distinction really is a problem (also B and V
in this case).

Jens Wilkinson
Neo Patwa language: http://patwa.pbwiki.com

http://mail.yahoo.com