Very funny of course, and there are more examples via the Chinglish links on the same page,
and hundreds or thousands more at http://www.engrish.com

I've never been to the Far East, but have gained the impression that English lettering and signage -
or, at least, letting and signage in the English alphabet - is fairly ubiquitous. Am I right?

Most of the gems at http://www.engrish.com seem to be from Japan, where English words -
sometimes hilariously misunderstood or misspelt - still seem to be at the cutting-edge of youth
culture. Is it the same in China, Taiwan & S. Korea? In the UK one sometimes sees T-shirts bearing
Japanese words, but they're hardly the acme of cool (I'd guess most of the wearers are young
martial arts students or film fans).

Moreover, it's surely instructive that such howlers seem almost universally to be attempts at
English, in English script - not French, German etc., and with nary a diacritic in sight: seeming
confirmation that this script is becoming so visually embedded around the world that the initial
IAL is likely to spring from it.

People in the Far East generally don't like losing face or being laughed at, so it seems probable to
me that they will ultimately tend to steer clear of the orthographic minefield otherwise known as
the English language, though they might see no reason not to recycle the laboriously-learned
English alphabet.