--- "Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> -IO hardly qualifies as an "Ido improvement" --
> country names in -IO
> were around in Esperanto before Couturat appeared on
> the scene, e.g.
> Meksikio, Kolombio, Bolivio, Cxilio

You know this is disingenuous, Don, because the -io
here is part of the Zamenhofised name of these
countries, not a suffix.  It seems far more likely
_prima facie_ that this -io suffix was influenced by
Ido -ia.  Btw, what does the Fundamento say about
replacing -ujo with -io ?  Surely this is
kontraux-Fundamenta.

> As I've mentioned here before, Vilborg suggests that
> some of the
> words officialized in the 7th Official Addition to
> the Universala
> Vortaro were influenced by Ido; that was in the
> 1950s, if I'm not
> mistaken. And it's quite possible, though IMHO not
> yet demonstrated,
> that the suffix -END- came to Esperanto from Ido (I
> almost wrote
> "originated with", but it's originally from Latin,
> of course).

This process of adopting Ido improvements into Esp is
entirely natural, even inevitable, and certainly to be
welcomed.  Long may Espists continue to improve their
language along the lines of Ido.

> As to other "improvements" ... I urge you not to
> hold your breath,
> else you will turn blue.

Well, let's hope it doesn't take too much longer,
because to borrow the catchphrase of an anti-Bush
website: the world can't wait!

Kordiale, James Chandler
http://io.wikipedia.org - Wikipedio en Ido

"We should all stay in touch, we should make a big network on both sides of the Atlantic because your country and my country are the biggest problems in the world today, we are the biggest rogue states in the world today and the citizens have got to take back control of the plane." - George Galloway, MP  Interviewed on the Alex Jones Show, 31st May 2005