Antony Alexander wrote:
> In the UK one sometimes sees T-shirts bearing
> Japanese words, but they're hardly the acme of cool
> (I'd guess most of the wearers are young martial
> arts students or film fans).

Clothes, jewelry and even tattoos with Chinese characters have become
quite common in Finland in the recent years. There is somekind of East
Asia boom going on at the moment. China is on everyone's lips because of
its growing economical importance. Also Japanese manga and anime have
become much more popular recently for some reason. They have existed for a
long time underground but now they have breaken to the mainstream. So it's
not all about the martial arts and kungfu movies anymore.

By the way, last Friday was the premier of the first joint Finnish-Chinese
movie ever made called "Jadesoturi". It is quite exceptional because all
previous joint productions have been done with other Western countries.
The movie is a mixture of Finnish mythology and Chinese kung fu tradition.
The story takes place in ancient China and present day Finland with
reincarnated characters. In my opinion the film is an example of the
growing influence of the Chinese culture.

-- Risto Kupsala