On 10/24/06, Sai Emrys <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 10/24/06, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Other clear examples are HELLO, GOODBYE, SORRY, THANKS/TA, CHEERS, CINCIN, BLESSYOU.
>
> Define "cincin"?

"Cincin" is an Italian toast, much like (the American meaning of)
"Cheers!", "L'chaim!", "Prosit!", "Kampai!", etc.

> Would the above ones (hello, yes/no, etc) count as "performative"? It
> seems a bit odd to call them that, to me.

I believe they qualify, yes.   "Performative" in this context means
"consisting of a speech act"... acting/performance, you know.

> Likewise "dog" doesn't seem either truthconditional or performative.
> Nor "blue" or "clearly".

Those aren't the only alternatives; And just gave them as the two
functions of "but".  Other words may be both those things and more, or
neither...

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>