On Oct 24, 2006, at 7:18 PM, Edgard Bikelis wrote:

> Kate wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Maybe you can help me by telling me whether or not this is plausible.
>>
>> I'm considering making pronunciation of consonants in one of my
>> languages somewhat dependent on stress. I haven't developed the idea
>> at all, so here's a crude example of what I mean:
>>
>> If the word /tati/ had stress on the last syllable, it would be
>> realized as:
>>
>> [ta.ti]
>>
>> If the word /tati/ had stress on the first syllable, however, it
>> would
>> be realized as:
>>
>> [ta.si]
>>
>> [s] would be an allophone of /t/ that would occur in certain
>> contexts,
>> perhaps intervocalically except when it begins a stressed
>> syllable...?
>> (I really don't know yet.)
>>
>> I can't think of any examples of stress in natlangs affecting
>> pronunciation of consonants in a similar way, so I'm hoping someone
>> here will either be able to give me examples or tell me that I should
>> drop this idea if I care about realism. =)

This idea is really similar to Verner's Law in Proto-Indo-European.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verner%27s_law .

> Hi!
>
> That reminds me of the pronunciation of mediaeval Latin. If I
> remember well, /ti/ sounds [ti] if stressed, and [tsi] otherwise.
> For instance:
>
> /ius'titia/
> [iustitsia]

I've never heard of that pronunciation (but that doesn't mean it
didn't exist). At first I thought you said Vulgar Latin, and I was
going to correct you, since in VL /ti/ is [tsj] before a vowel, no
matter what the accent.