Mark J. Reed wrote:
> Ditto.  A Mexican working at EPCOT once asked me if I was Cuban.   It
> would have been *more* ego-boosting if a Cuban had asked me that, but
> I'll take what I can get. :)

Ah no-- they know you're not from _their_ country, so you must be from
somewhere else :-)))  My experiences were mainly with Puerto Ricans when I
lived in NYC; Lord knows I couldn't speak a la PR (or Cuban) if I tried. (I
used [Z] for ll and y, so it confused them; it didn't, however, fool any
Argentines.)
I had a Colombian friend in NYC who was uncomfortable with speaking Span. in
public-- he very honestly explained he didn't want to be taken for PR. That
was in the 60s; I wonder if there's still so much prejudice against them--
suspect not.