wrote:

>If I may briefly attempt to drag this thread kicking and screaming
>back toward the original question...

>Does Spanish have an equivalent verb to totoyer/duzen/etc?  I've
never
>heard one...

The verb is "tutear."  If there is one equivalent to "siezen," I'm
not
aware of it.
Recently my parishioners told me that, as their pastor, I
should "tutear" them.  They continue to use Usted when addressing me.

>Henrik Theiling wrote:
>We could perhaps agree that cultures differ in the selection of
>situations that allow intimacy.

If "American" is a culture, then I'd like to amend Henrik's
statement
to "subculture."  Judith Martin is a syndicated columnist in the US,
more familiarly known as Miss Manners.  She says that people should
be
called what they want to be called.  There are, of course, some
limitations to this.  I'm not addressing anyone in the US as "your
majesty."

But, like Henrik, I don't care to be on an intimate footing with
everyone who comes down the pike.  If a salesperson addresses me by
my
first name, I tell them, "Please don't call me by my first name.  We
are total strangers."  To be friendly with another does not equate
to being friends.

My parishes are in Appalachia, part of the American "Bible Belt."
Many will not address me as "father" because of their interpretation
of Jesus' words.  I respect their view but, as they call their own
pastors "reverend" or "pastor," it would be polite to address me
so.
However, there still is a lingering anti-Catholicism in many parts
of
our nation.

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/senjecas