Je 11.19 atm 2006.10.29, Steve RICE skribis

>On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:28:32 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >I've been corresponding with Espen Stranger-Johanessen, who is trying to
>get
> >his audiobook project at http://www.geocities.com/sonlibro/ going, and he
> >has the same problem: Since he wants to make these sound files freely
> >available, he has to limit himself to public domain works, but it's not
> >clear what Eo works, if any, are in fact public domain.
> >
>I can suggest a good place to start:
>
>http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/eo
>
>That's Gutenberg's list of Eo titles. I think they all are translations,
>but the very fact that they're on Gutenberg means that the
>author/translator should be open to audiobooks.

The first Esperanto works to go into Gutenberg were apparently some
really old textbooks and dictionaries, which are probably not the
best of audiobook fare. Most of the rest do consist of translations,
primarily by Odd Tangerud (three of Ibsen's plays) and Edwin Grobe
(some long-out-of-copyright American short works), though there are
certainly some original works in the "Fundamenta Krestomatio"
(attributed to L. L. Zamenhof).

>Some of the works on the Eo
>Wikisource should likewise be public domain or at least open to discussion.
>For that matter, here in the U.S., anything published before I think 1923
>is fair game. (At least here, if it enters public domain, it stays that way
>unless the claimant can get the status reversed in court, which seldom
>works.)
>
>I agree with Harlow about the copyright mess: it now protects stakeholders
>in perpetuity, not authors for a lifetime. I'm a writer myself (three of my
>short stories will be published in February in the anthology _Light at the
>Edge of Darkness_),

About which more at
http://lostgenreguild.com/lightattheedgeofdarkness.html (and you can
track down Steve's biography through this site, as well).

>and more and more of the writers I know are using
>Creative Commons. Unfortunately, publishers still go with copyright.

-- Don HARLOW