Meningococcemia is an awful, unpredictable disease.   I will always remember
a 16 year old girl with mild headache, fever and stiff neck.   LP showed
meningococci.   I told her Mom to pick up the 'healthy' younger brother who was at
school and bring him immediately to the office.   She went, and by the time
she reached the office shortly thereafter, he was covered with petecchiae and
echymoses and promptly died (the older girl did well and completely recovered).
 We as pediatricians need to stay alert, but can only do our best when
confronted with this deadly bug....
Horst D. Weinberg, MD

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: