Colleagues,

	If anyone can provide me with some information I would be most
appreciative…..

	We are looking at augmenting coverage in several ED’s with
pediatric coverage.  One is a Level I PED and Trauma Center, and another
is a Level II Center.  In order to make our case to administration, we
need some comparative data to support our claim that additional coverage
is needed, and that our physicians are already seeing as many patients as
they can, safely and with high quality care.

	I would be interested in whatever benchmarks you use, or are
available, regarding average patients/hour/physician; RVU’s/
physician/hour, or any other metric that you use to gauge physician
performance/productivity, and the ability of the system as a whole to
process patients efficiently and with high patient satisfaction results.
For instance, in an average Level I Peds ED and Trauma Center should
productive physicians be able to see 2-4 patients per hour? Should more or
less be expected if residents are available?  At what level would double
and triple coverage be considered necessary?

	Thank you for any information or direction you can provide me.
Have a great day!

Ernie

Ernest G. Bertha, MD, MBA, CPE, FAAP
Senior Medical Officer, Pediatrics