Reliable, not sure.  DEMA estimates the # as this forms the market to
which to sell products.  In the US, the estimate is about 1 million
divers driving just under $1B in sales.  About 150K newly certified
divers annually.

http://www.dema.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=290

At 12:04 AM 11/12/2006, SCUBA-L automatic digest system wrote:
>   1. Stats on numbers of scuba divers worldwide

>Date:    Sat, 11 Nov 2006 21:31:59 -0500
>From:    forumalias <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Stats on numbers of scuba divers worldwide
>
>Hi! First post here.
>
>Can anyone help me with this: I am trying to find statistics on
>numbers of scuba divers worldwide, mainly trying to figure out the
>proportions of divers who dive in metric vs Imperial units...
>
>Are there any relaible statistics on this anywhere?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Francois

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum