>In [log in to unmask], Andreas Johansson <andjo@...> wrote:

>From my sporadic reading of _Lärarnas tidning_, it seems to be
>fairly common that children of immigrants, who more-or-less only
>speak the ancestral language with family and relatives, learn that
>language quite poorly. This is commonly advanced as a reason for
>whatever _hemspråksundervisning_ is called in English (lit. "home
>language tuition").

I continue to be amazed at the elementary school children, Mexican
immigrants, in my parish who speak both English and Spanish
fluently.  I often ask them to interpret for me to their parents.
They speak Spanish at home & are taught their catechism in Spanish
(because their catechists are not fluent in English), but must speak
English in school.

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/senjecas