That's precisely where I struggle. My brain does not filter out
unlikely options very effectively, and I tend to go into a processing
loop trying to understand which possibility was meant. I do this in my
native language, English, and do it even more in a non-native
language... and, of course, by the time I've got things figured out
I've missed the next several utterances. (And sometimes I get things
figured out exactly wrong anyway.)

It's a very real and notable phenomenon with me, and often aggravating
to those around me who believe I'm just being obtuse for comic effect.
Thus my discomfort with statements about language and lexicon design
that are the equivalent of "Everybody knows...", "Obviously...", and
the estimable "You can't miss it!".

--larry