Rex (>), Donald (>>):
> >(1) Bertilo Wennergren (author of "Plena manlibro
> >de Esperanta gramatiko", published by ELNA,
> >available for the incredibly -- for a 700-page
> >hardback technical book -- low price of $27.00),
> >is linguistically very conservative. This is not
> >a Bad Thing, since 99 and 44/100 percent of all
> >individually proposed changes and reforms to
> >_any_ language are pernicious; but it also tends
> >to make one miss the 56/100 percent of
> >individually proposed changes and reforms that
> >would be Good Things. (*) (Bertilo and I have
> >tangentially tangled before on the desirability
> >of the ALI-column in the correlative table, he
> >considering it a Bad Thing and I considering it a
> >Good Thing; I also consider it an Inevitable
> >Thing, but don't know how he feels about that.)
>
> Hm.  How wd it be a bad thing? There is the problem
> that 'al' has another meaningm and 'aliu' could be
> possibly confused with 'al iu,' and that 'alia' would
> have to change its meaning, wd it not?  But the
> concept is certainly a good one.

I think the most common objection to the idea of introducing an "ALI-"
column is that "alie" already means "in another way"/"otherwise", not
"in another place"/"aliloke" as would be consistent with the table
words.

The problem wouldn't be quite so large if there wasn't already a large
body of literature already using "alie" in the former sense. But OTOH,
it's not like the meanings of words never change in other languages.

// Carl