Je 03.23 ptm 2006.11.23, Todd MOODY skribis

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 2:34 pm, Carl Mäsak wrote:
>>Donald (>)
>>>Despite the fact that I like this particular
>>>form, I've noticed that use of it seems to have
>>>declined considerably since I first learned the
>>>language almost half a century ago. Apparently
>>>the argument that "de" is overloaded, while
>>>probably true (in the usual theoretical sense),
>>>is also not very compelling to the ordinary speaker.
>
>In a recent discussion Bertilo Wennergen pointed
>out that one objection to "far" is that it is an
>irregular adaptation of the verb "fari".  Even
>"fare de" is quite idiomatic and not
>generalizable.  We don't say "skribe de," for
>example, and certainly not "skrib."

Two points here:

(1) Bertilo Wennergren (author of "Plena manlibro
de Esperanta gramatiko", published by ELNA,
available for the incredibly -- for a 700-page
hardback technical book -- low price of $27.00),
is linguistically very conservative. This is not
a Bad Thing, since 99 and 44/100 percent of all
individually proposed changes and reforms to
_any_ language are pernicious; but it also tends
to make one miss the 56/100 percent of
individually proposed changes and reforms that
would be Good Things. (*) (Bertilo and I have
tangentially tangled before on the desirability
of the ALI-column in the correlative table, he
considering it a Bad Thing and I considering it a
Good Thing; I also consider it an Inevitable
Thing, but don't know how he feels about that.)

(2) Even if your reject "far" (and a very few
other similar constructions; I rather like "mez",
myself, but nobody else uses it, so neither do
I), "fare de" is actually standard fare (pr.
"fehr" -- this was unintentional), and "skribe
de" is perfectly legitimate; in fact, many people
use "pere de" to mean "through the agency of" as
a weaker variant of "per", "by means of".

---

(*) Conservatives tend to protect us from those
who would implement Mandatory Change by Personal
Fiat, as with the Ido "reform". In fact, the only
thing that I, who am well left of center
politically, have against the current crop of
political conservatives in the United States is
not that they are conservative but that they
aren't ("freebooter" or "brigand" would be a more appropriate term).

-- Don HARLOW