-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Theiling
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 7:05 PM
Hi!
Jörg Rhiemeier writes:
> First of all, I think that any conlang ought to be measured against the
> purpose or design goals set by the creator.
"The same for me."

Absolutely, this would be top of the list for me, too. Also the remark of
"Character" or "special flavour" is very true. The other thing I like about
conlangs is a fleshed out conculture it fits in with. And then variation. I
definitely like variation and dialects in my conlangs...

> A fictional ethnic language, on the other hand, should *not* be overly
> regular and simplistic, but resemble a natlang, and obey well-established
> linguistic universals.
"Well, this is not necessary if the creator defines the society differently.
E.g. Vulcans would probably not have an irregular language.  So the design
of the society were the language is to be spoken might override the default
goals for conlang design that you
give here.[...]"

Well, this may be up for dispute, since Vulcans are not only logical, but
also highly conservative and traditionally oriented. We know from the
series, films and books that Vulcan has various different varieties, one
being Modern Vulcan and there is also mention of "Old High Vulcan". This is
quite interesting because we have many ritualistic commands and sayings in
the series and films, but then also a Modern Vulcan conversation between
Saavik and Spock in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" and Star Trek III: The
Search for Spock". The ritualistic Vulcan and the conversational Vulcan are
very, very different from a phonological point of view. If we assume that
Old High Vulcan is the predecessor of modern conversational Vulcan then the
laws of language change also govern Vulcan linguistic development. This
would imply systems developing and breaking down - and irregularities - not
to mention the fact that many Vulcans would be trilingual at least with
Modern Old-High Vulcan as well as Federation Standard (English???). Just a
few thoughts why I would find it disappointing if Vulcan were linguistically
over-logical and totally regular. Sorry about the ramble...
Dan