Lars Finsen wrote:
> Den 20. nov. 2006 kl. 20.57 skrev R A Brown:
>

>> From this verb are derived quite regularly:
>> - a masculine noun with suffix -mos, denoting process, namely
>> _kate:khismos_ (catechism - the system of oral instruction);
>> - the masculine noun with suffix -te:s denoting 'agent'*, namely
>> _kate:khiste:s_ (catechist - one who gives oral instruction).
>>
>> *Female agent ended in -tria, -tris or -tis. But *kate:khistis  would
>> still turn up in English as 'catechist'  :)
>

> Do you have etymologies for these suffixes? Seems like useful stuff.

Sorry not to have replied sooner - have been laid up with flu, but now
fit & well.

Sorry - I don't have etymologies. Maybe PIEists on the list can help. I
assume the -te:s (nom.; stem -te:- ) ending is a nominal use of the PIE
-t- formative suffix which IIRC formed (de)verbal adjective, indifferent
as to voice.

-tis is just the feminine of -te:s with the formative element -id-. I
assume -tria & -tris (-trid-) are Greek formations adding a feminine
suffix to the IE agent suffix -tor ~ -ter ~ -tr

I have no idea about -mo-, sorry    :=(

I have no idea

--
Ray