On 12/5/06, David J. Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is hard to say anything about without glosses, so I read up.
>
> Sylvia wrote:
> <<
> tamma jahārme
> 'She swam'.
>  >>

> So what's missing here is that this is the past tense, third person
> singular source/null goal conjugation of SE, so it's something like,
> "from her, a swim".  The latter would be something like...
>
> anX
> "Xing (the activity)"
>
> ~
>
> jaX
> "a(n) X (an instance of the activity)"
>
> Right?
>
> If so, only two questions remain:
>
> (1) Is the an~ja thing productive with other verbish/actiony
> type nouns?  So you could have anY "running" and jaY "a run";
> anZ "skiing", jaZ "a ski (as in, "Let's all go out for a nice ski!")?  I
> ask because I know these guys are supposed to do other things
> (marking collectives and inanimate non-collectives).

Yes, more or less. Given that I am revising the dictionary and I am
not sure that anX would be an activity anymore. On the other hand,
nothing else could be, so anX it is.

> (2) So if this is what it means with a null goal, what would it
> mean with a goal?  For example...
>
> temme jaharme ke malacin mo macuma
>
> (macron on the second a of "jaharme"; second a and i of "malacin";
> u of "macuma"; tilde over the n in "malacin")
>
> So, "From the girl to the man, a swim" = ?  If saying "The girl
> swam to the man" would require a different particle (NI), would
> this have to mean something like, "The girl gave the man a
> swim"?

More like the girl swam for the man. Goal often denotes a beneficiary.

> (3) A word for "girl", but no word for "boy"?  Alas, my poor
> gender!  ;)  Maybe makamin? (macron on the "a")

mamoin, macrons on o and i, tilde on the n.
Like I said, the dictionary is being revised.

--
Sylvia Sotomayor
www.terjemar.net