We are exploring physician peer review in our peds ED as well as upstairs in
the hospital.

I have a specific request to the group. How is everyone doing physician peer
review. I am not talking about traditional QI where a physician reviews charts
for the group. Is anyone having physician staff review other physicians
staff? Routinely? Never?

What about adverse outcomes. Do you have peer committees or is this typically
handled on an administrative level. In our group, it has traditionally been
the latter, but lessons do not filter down well this way and furthermore, it
sets up a little bit of a management/staff divide in terms of who is making
judgments.

Rick Place
Pediatric Medical Director
Department of Emergency Medicine