What are good ways of encoding the following stretch, a typical
example in Joyce's Ulysses:

-- Tell me now, Stephen said, poking the boy's shoulder with the
book, what is a pier.

There is one paragraph and one speech, but the speech is interrupted
by a stretch of narrative that serves to identify the speaker. In a
distant way, the narrative could be interpreted as a kind of stage
direction.  So it would not be absurd to do something like

And something like that would be more in keeping with the structure
of the paragraph than having two <sp> elements, which strikes me as
wrong.

On the other hand, such interspersed narrative fragments are not
really stage directions. Would it make sense to use a <seg
type="quoth"> element to identify the narrative circumstances of the
speech and commemorate Alisoun's famous "Tehee! quod she." Something
like

I leave out of this discussion the question where to put the
punctuation and what to do with quotation marks that are very common
in these interspersed speech markers.