To return to the original issue, I'm still trying to decide whether what
we have is adequate to describe all the emendations/correction to a
manuscript. I'm not sure that what we need is a new element "emend", in
fact...

Think of a table: three columns, what sort of emendation; two rows, who
is emending. (a) addition, (b) removal, (c) alteration; (1) scribe, (2)
editor. The following six cells need to be filled, then:

1a) The ancient scribe/stonecutter (or a second hand) adds letters to
the original version of the text.

At EpiDoc we tag this as <add/> (pretty uncontroversially, I think)

2a) The editor adds/restores/conjectures text missing from the source text.

We tag this <supplied reason="omitted"/> (for example: other values of
@reason are also possible).

1b) An ancient scribe removes text from the source (erasure,
subpuncting, etc.)

<del/>

2b) Editor considers text to be erroneous, dittography, superfluous, etc.

<sic type="superfluous"/> (vel sim.)

3b) Editor corrects an apparent error, transposition, etc. in the source
text

It is (3a) therefore, an ancient hand corrects an error or transposition
in the text (adds an upper stroke to a T, etc.), that is the only issue
that we don't have an obvious way to tag. I *believe* that EpiDoc
currently recommends:

<app>
</app>

But we aren't always talking about a <del/> followed by an <add/>. This
is not where an element <emend> would be useful, is it? Any
recommendations? Is this a non-issue?

Cheers,

Gabby

--