Hello Julia,
at Henrik Ibsen's Writings we have modified the DTD so that the structure
you suggest is valid.

> <castGroup rend="braced">
>     <castItem/>
>     <castItem/>
>     <roleDesc/>
> </castGroup>

We have encountered several braced castGroups with a common role
description in our material, here are a few examples:

Lentulus      unge romerske Adelsmænd.
Coeparius
Gabinius
Statilius
Cethegus

Ambiorix      Allebrogernes Gesandter.
Ollovico

Svanhild,    hendes Døttre.
Anna,

Falk, en ung Forfatter,    hendes Logerende.
Lind, theologisk Student,

(In this last example, we even have role descriptions inside the castItems
and then a role description directly in castGroup. Apologies for not
translating the Norwegian into English.)

Concerning line breaks: We "normalize" line breaks in these castGroups,
recording none for the role description itself, just encoding the line
breaks associated with the castItems.
All the best, Hilde

--
Hilde Bøe
     Ass. editor

On Sun, January 28, 2007 18:04, Julia Flanders wrote:
> I should have been more precise: Having decided that the group of two
cast items should be encoded as a <castGroup>, I was therefore on a path
at whose end lies <trailer> rather than (what I think would be more
appropriate) <roleDesc>. The reason I didn't encode the <roleDesc>
inside one of the <castItem>s is that it belongs to both.

> Structually, the situation looks to me like two cast items grouped
together by a common role description, which I would like to represent
this way:

> <castGroup>
>     <castItem/>
>     <castItem/>
>     <roleDesc/>
> </castGroup>
>
> And this seems to me to be a reasonable encoding. I wonder whether
anyone else thinks that adding <roleDesc> to the things that can appear
at the end of a <castGroup> would be a good idea?

> I agree with the rest of your analysis--thank you!
>
> best, Julia
>
> Michael Beddow wrote:
>>> and the to the right, the following role description (which TEI wants me
>>> to encode as a trailer, though I suggest that <roleDesc> would be
better):
>> Where does this TEI-want come from?  <roleDesc> is a permissible child of
>> <castItem>, and doubtless intentionally so. Of course, if you close
<castItem>  immediately after <role>, as in your example, then you are
indeed stuck with <trailer>. But it needn't be so.

--
Hilde Bøe
     ass. edisjonsfilolog, cand.philol.