The problem with this approach is that there are now two different
places where the <roleDesc> can be specified -- either within the
<castGroup> or within the <castItem>. How then is one to interpret (say)

<castGroup>
   <castItem>
      <role>Itchy</role>
      <roleDesc>a man about town</roleDesc>
   </castItem>
<castItem>
      <role>Scratchy</role>
      <roleDesc>a child of fortune</roleDesc>
   </castItem>
<roleDesc>
Gentlemen of leisure
</roleDesc>
</castGroup>

Is Itchy  *both* a "gentlemen of leisure" *and* "a man about town"? Or
does the inner (or outer) description over-ride the other one?

Of course, you can always define a usage rule to help resolve such
conundrums, but the existing definitions need modification in such a case.