Surely the distinction, Tim, is not between pre- and post-Gutenberg
editors, but between the editor who writes on the very manuscript
(papyrus, stone, etc.) that we are describing, and the one who is
conjecturing, restoring, expanding, or otherwise improving the text for
an external edition. (I appreciate that this distinction is much clearer
in epigraphy than it is in manuscript studies, where sometimes there
will be ambiguous instances; occasional ambiguity is no reason not to
have a clear system in place.) So if a late Byzantine scribe has
scrawled on a much older manuscript, we as editors have no choice but to
record that in our edition of the text/object. But if an early modern
editor prints an edition and conjectures some wild emendations, we don't
have to record that in the description of the text at all (although we'd
probably mention it in an apparatus).

Of course ancient and modern editors are often doing the same thing in
principle, and in their own minds, but the essential difference is what
they are doing to the piece of papyrus/stone that we're commenting on.
The editorial conjectures you print in the text (or tag in the text)
depend on your judgement. What scribal annotations you record is
entirely down to what is on the page. That's why we have to preserve a
very clear distinction between how we tag them.

Thanks for the ref to the V marginalium: very entertaining!

Cheers,

Gabby

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD