Eager to begin holding my peace, but here goes...

I lump modern editors together with ancient scribes because they do the
same things. Sometimes they restore a more primitive reading. Other
times they make a complete mess of it. Consider these:

(1) A modern editor examines available evidence and synthesizes a text
then submits it to the publisher who prints it (sometimes).
(2) A scribe gets hold of the nearest exemplar and copies it, possibly
consulting other exemplars in the process.
(3) A corrector alters the text of one manuscript based on the text of
another. (Apologies to rock-chiselers.)

What's the difference between (1), (2), and (3)? I think that it is more
to do with the mechanics of production than anything else. Taking a long
view of history, when some other revolution overtakes the electronic
one, people might try to integrate the hand-copied, mechanically
printed, and TEI encoded versions of a text. What would they think of
special elements created to distinguish editors of our era from their
forerunners?

Perhaps the difference between the our camps is to do with focus. One
cares about the object (e.g. manuscript) and therefore wants to
distinguish textual renditions within it from contemporary opinions on
those renditions. The other camp cares about the text and therefore sees
all opinions about what that text might be in the same light.

Best

Tim Finney