I think you latter point is exactly the focus of the debate. Your
approaches are different and they are both entirely justifiable.

For a scholar who focuses on the text and its tradition, the encoders
are editors as much as the ancient scribe who scribbled on the margins.
Their labour can be seen as part of the same process of altering the
text, whatever that is.
For a scholar interested in the material artefact (e.g. the manuscript),
any editorial intervention not contained in the object is immeasurably
different from what's on the parchment/papyrus/stone.

I am afraid my comment doesn't tackle the practical core of the debate
though.

All the best,
Arianna

--