First I'd like to say a little more about the manuscript I'm encoding,
since I'm afraid I left out details of importance to the discussion in my
first email.
The manuscript is a single leaf with, on the recto side, cast list -
including requests for which actors Ibsen prefers - and setting for the
drama "The league of youth". The verso side contains notes for a planned
(but never completed) preface for "Emperor and Galilean" (we encode the
verso side as a separate XML file).
The cast list + setting probably is a draft for an attachment to a letter,
known but lost, from Ibsen to the theatre, concerning the performance of
the drama.

Then to Lou Burnards suggestion to use <front> for the cast list + setting
and put <gap/> in <body>. I agree with Paul Schaffner, it doesn't seem
alright using <gap/> here, not in the encoding of this particular
manuscript anyway. There has most likely never excisted anything more (of
the drama) but this cast list + setting in this particular manuscript, cf.
the description above. If there never was anymore than this in the
manuscript, <gap/> shouldn't, in my opinion, be used.

And on second thought, I was perhaps wrong to call it a fragment as well?
The text in the manuscript is probably copied (by Ibsen) from another
manuscript (containing the complete drama) to be used in the letter.
Depending on how one considers it, it could either be seen as a fragment
of the drama or as a draft for an attachment to the letter. As fragment of
a drama Lou Burnard's suggestion for encoding would make a good solution,
but viewed as a draft for something else, and in this case a draft for an
attachment to a letter, the text (i.e. cast list + setting) in the
manuscript surely could be seen as the body of the doument where the
doument = the attachment? Or, maybe even as the back matter for the
letter, since an attachment to a letter probably would be considered as
back matter.

I still think I'll continue to regard the contents of this manuscript as
the body of the document.

Bu putting the <castList> in <body> leaves the question of what to do with
the setting unanswered.
According to the P4 guidelines, one should use <stage>: "This element
should not be used outside the front matter; for similar contextual
descriptions within the body of the text, use the <stage> element" (cf.
"Note" in description of <set> in the "Elements" chapter)
According to the guidelines then, it would be possible to use <stage
type="setting"> here, but I find that unsatisfying as the text in question
is a setting - it belongs with the cast list and it "contains a
description of the setting, time, locale, appearance" (quoted from the
definition of <set> in the "Elements" chapter) - and it's not a "stage
direction within a dramatic text or fragment" (quoted from the definition
of <stage> in the "Elements" chapter). Rather than

 <castList>
  <castItem/>
 </castList>
 <stage type="setting"/>

I think I prefer

 <castList>
  <castItem/>
  <castItem/>
  <castItem/>
  <castItem/>
 </castList>
<back>
 <set>
 </set>
</back>

Or even allow <set> in <body>. Is there a reason why <castList> is allowed
in <body>, while <set> is not?
Hilde

On Wed, January 31, 2007 00:18, Paul F. Schaffner wrote:
> A very common analagous situation arises when a *piece* of a work is
quoted in such a way as to reproduce its original structure, e.g. for
purposes of commentary or rebuttal or abuse. At least, I think it is
analagous, since unless someone can offer a better option, a quoted (say)
preface, or perhaps only the head or opener of the preface, often seems
its role, but the rest of the text is not there
(or
> is
> perhaps only quoted in a later chapter). Since half the books in the
seventeenth century reproduce chunks of the other half in order to hold
them up to derision, this sort of thing is depressingly
> commonplace:

dedication,

>      <head>A Humble Submission.</head>
>      <byline>By John Jones, Esq;</byline>
</opener>
>      </div1>
>      </front>
>      </text>
>      </q>
>
>    since his name is not Jones, he is anything but humble, and "love" is
a strange word for his implacable enmity, as of darkness for the sun. And
then he heaps deceit upon mendacity by signing himself,

>      <closer>
>      <dateline>Brasenose College, Oxon., <date>31 June 1645 novo
stylo</date>
>      </dateline>
</closer>

>    since everyone knows he is a Cambridge man! (and June has only thirty
days)</p>

> We allow some things that canonical TEI doesn't, but even so, in such
circumstances, I have found myself driven to 'fake' things that aren't
there, e.g. an empty <p> to follow a quoted <head>, or an empty
quite right. Or does it? What do you do?

> pfs
Paul Schaffner | [log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/ 316-C
Hatcher Library N, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> Seems to me that the only pure and honest way of dealing with this
situation
>> is to do something like
>> <front>fragmentary front elements</front>
>> If part of what you want to encode about a fragmentary title page is
that it
>> is in some sense "front matter" then putting it into the <body> simply
isn't
>> on. As Michael SpMcQ used to say "if there is a choice between an
expedient
>> lie and a difficult truth, always prefer truth".  If it's "front
matter",
>> then there has to be something for it to be in front of -- and in a
fragmentary manuscript, what it's in front of is a gap!
>> Lou
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Hilde Bøe wrote:
>>> Thanks Brett,
>>> this is clearly similar to our problem.
>>> I think it would have helped (I would certainly have appreciated it)
if
>>> e.g. either the chapter on "Default Text Structure" or the chapter on
"Transcription of Primary Sources", could include a section on
encoding
>>> fragments, where the discussion included examples on fragments
consisting
>>> of only front and back matter. At present the TEI Guidelines does not
allow documents consisting of only <front> or <back> (and that's
alright
>>> with me), but moving front and back matter into the <body> isn't an
easy
>>> solution, as far as I can see.
>>> All the best, Hilde
attribute). Even though this was a few years back, I'm still not
completely
Unfortunately, none of this does much to enlighten your particular
conundrum, I'm afraid. But maybe it's useful as a related problem of
manuscript encoding?
had a discussion on wether a document can consist of <front> only
matter, it should always be encoded within <front>. Encoding it
within
encoding <castList> within <front> or <body>, we have encountered a
problem concerning the setting. Encoding a cast list in <front> lets the
Base
include the setting, had it not been that <performance> also is only
allowed in <front> and <back>.
Are