What are good ways of encoding the following stretch, a typical example in Joyce's Ulysses:

-- Tell me now, Stephen said, poking the boy's shoulder with the book, what is a pier.

There is one paragraph and one speech, but the speech is interrupted by a stretch of narrative that serves to identify the speaker. In a distant way, the narrative could be interpreted as a kind of stage direction.  So it would not be absurd to do something like

And something like that would be more in keeping with the structure of the paragraph than having two <sp> elements, which strikes me as wrong.

On the other hand, such interspersed narrative fragments are not really stage directions. Would it make sense to use a <seg type="quoth"> element to identify the narrative circumstances of the speech and commemorate Alisoun's famous "Tehee! quod she." Something like

I leave out of this discussion the question where to put the punctuation and what to do with quotation marks that are very common in these interspersed speech markers.