Je 08.36 atm 2007.01.07, Andrew NOWICKI skribis

>The Esperanto word "right-something"
>is not good because it sounds like a
>noun and because it does not convey
>any information about rotation.

"Dekstrume" sounds like an adverb, not a noun. The noun would be
"dekstrumo", which I don't know how to translate into English (as one word).

I would point out here that, although PIV and Benson use the stem
"dekstrum'" for "clockwise", it's not the only possible word that can
be used (we all tend, when learning a foreign language, to imagine
that there's only one way to say any particular thing, a fallacy
that, I suspect, the textbooks encourage). Someone -- Kjell, perhaps
-- suggested "lauxhorlogxe" (vs. "kontrauxhorlogxe" [*] for
"counterclockwise"), and that is also a perfectly good Esperanto
term. Or, to jump ahead to a later posting of yours, if one wants to
be pedantic there's no reason not to say "dekstrarotacie" or perhaps
"horlogxorotacie" or ... but "dekstrume", in context, is quite good
enough for most purposes.

---

(*) Somebody suggested earlier that it would be possible to construct
a clock that ran in a counterclockwise direction. At a local banquet
of Esperanto speakers I went to this afternoon -- small; it was only
somewhat larger than last year's global Ido-Konfero -- the lady
sitting next to me, Tatiana Sh., told me that she once bought such a
wristwatch, manufactured as a joke, in Kazakhstan.

-- Don HARLOW