On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 14:34:42 -0300, Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>It sounds funny and ironic, but, while many people in this list dream
>with the hopeful ideal of world peace and good coexistence, some of
>them act against their own ideal. Sometimes there are flame wars,
>personal attacks, curses to whole communities of people,
>demonstrations of arrogance, and lack of willingness to perform
>concessions, unfortunate actions that made many good people abandon
>the coexistence with us in this list. Does it show that we humans are
>unable to get along with each other when there are potential conflicts
>or contentious issues? The history repeats itself, but at least in
>this virtual list it is fortunately in a small scale. (That is, I hope
>and suppose nobody was murdered because of his participation here.)
>I adopt the philosophy that, if I want a better world, I have to begin
>with a better myself. And this in a large part means a better
>relationship to other people. I sometimes fail miserably, but I use
>this as a motivation to evolve and to strive for not repeating the
>mistakes from the past.
>By the way, we use a common language here.

Well said.  Human nature does not change.  What we have to
strive for is cultural institutions that minimize the bad
effects of human nature, ideally by channeling human
drives into benevolent, not malevolent directions.*  And as
a more-or-less libertarian by nature, I prefer that these
institutions be established by persuasion and logic rather
than coersion.  But as a realist, I realize that such is not
always possible.

*NOT by eliminating human drives, an impossible goal
which has led to egregious human suffering.