li [Andrew Nowicki] mi tulis la

> In Ygyde the word ywiwi = "noun genetic helix" = DNA.
> DNA is shaped like a right-hand (normal) screw. When
> the screw moves away from you, it turns clockwise.
> Screws are fasteners. When you turn a screw with a
> screwdriver, it usually moves away from you (and into
> the wood).
>
> The right-hand screw concept is important in physics
> because it determines direction of magnetic field,
> and in chemistry, because most organic chains shaped
> like left-hand screw are toxic. (Very few right-hand
> screw shaped organic chains are toxic.)

But isn't this supposed to be an IAL.  Your average Joe Sixpack isn't
going to know anything about the details of DNA, or have a degree in
physics.  Terms should be based upon something a common person can
relate to.

> > The nice thing about a clock is that in normal life,
> > you never see them from the other side. Which isn't
> > true for the orbits of planets, for example, where it
> > depends on whether you look at them from the "north"
> > or the "south".
>
> > In any case, though, I'm confused about the subject of
> > the post. Why is this a "simple auxlang test"?
>
> The word is difficult to define. I imagine that by the
> end of this century digital gizmos (probably cell phones)
> will replace the mechanical clocks. How do you explain
> the word clockwise to someone who has never seen a
> mechanical clock? Webster's dictionary defines clockwise
> as "circularly to the right from a point taken as the top."

"Clockwise" isn't a bad term but I suppose there is always a possibility
of someone making a clock that runs the other direction so the term is
somewhat idiomatic.  The word really isn't difficult to define, just use
"right" or "left" which is often used in English as with the steering
wheel of a car.