li [Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues] mi tulis la

> Maybe some short word literally meaning "north-to-east direction"
> would be a nice translation to "clockwise" (of course, I do not mean
> geographical north, as indicated by a compass, but north relative to
> the clock pointer position, or to your body).
> Just "right direction" is not good enough because, if you look at a
> pointer on the lower position (6h for the small pointer, or 30min for
> the big pointer), it goes left. So it is not obvious enough that
> "clockwise" is related to "right", unless you say "up-to-right",
> "front-to-right", "north-to-east" or something like that.
> Moreover, the "clockwise direction" in the steering wheel of cars is
> also related to the "right direction" of the car by an arbitrary
> standard (associated this way due to a mechanical convenience, but it
> would not be hard for a mechanical engineer to design a "reversed"
> wheel). Also do not forget the mental confusion of direction by novice
> car drivers when they need to use the rear gear.

Yes, you could engineer a steering wheel to go the other direction but
it certainly wouldn't be natural.  It is consistent with the direction
of the handlebars on a bicycle or motorcyle so it isn't completely
arbitrary.  It's also consistent with turning the body when walking. A
right turn will mean turning the body "clockwise" when viewed from
above, but viewing from below ground really doesn't make much sense.