li [Donald J. HARLOW] mi tulis la

> Je 03.46 ptm 2007.01.06, Dana NUTTER skribis
> >li [Andrew Nowicki] mi tulis la

> > > What is the total number of the Esperantists?
> >
> >Look around and you'll see estimates that vary widely but
> most seem to
> >put the number at about 1-2 million.
>
> The Wikipedia article on Esperanto puts the figure somewhere between
> a hundred thousand and two million; both figures are, I think,
> correct to ballpark accuracy.

I've seen estimates from 500K al the way up to 10M, but most seem to
fall in the 1-2M range.  In any case estimating how many people speak a
language is very difficult at best.

> >That's far more than any other
> >constructed language.  Even Ido and Interlingua are barely in the
> >thousands, and last I checked Volapuk was around 30.
>
> Yes, the Wikipedia article on Volapuk claims 25-30 speakers. (*) The
> Volapuk mailing list at YahooGroups currently has 172 subscribers,
> but, of course, there's no way of telling how many of those can
> actually read/write/speak Volapuk (many of the postings seem to be in
> Volapuk, however). The Wikipedia Ido article claims 2000-2500
> speakers, which may be closer to accurate than the figure of 400 that
> James Chandler suggested a few years ago. The Interlingua article,
> somewhat more cautiously, offers us only "unknown", but I suspect
> that it's comparable to Ido.

You're right membership doesn't mean much.  Some may only have a passing
interest in it.  I am a member of several groups myself.  For example, I
lurk on the Toki Pona group, but I've never spend the time to learn to
use it, so it's a passive interest and only occasionally do I run across
a thread that catches my interest.

> > > How much time have they spent comparing and testing auxlangs?
> >
> >They didn't learn it to test and compare it.  They learned
> it to use it.
> >And that's just what they are doing.
>
> Damn, you beat me to it! I was going to say that!

Do I win a gold medal?

> (*) No indication, however, whether they're speaking classical
> Volapuk, de Jong's reformed Volapuk, or some mixture thereof.

From what I've read, the de Jong version is what is being used though
there may some purist out there using only the Schleyer version.