Je 08.18 atm 2007.01.07, Dana NUTTER skribis
>li [Donald J. HARLOW] mi tulis la
> > Je 06.50 atm 2007.01.07, Dana NUTTER skribis
> > >li [Kjell Rehnström] mi tulis la

> > >Most people don't know that Esperanto exists either.
> >
> > Actually, most of the people I've run into _do_
> > know that Esperanto exists.
>
>That's people that YOU have run into.  This needs to be looked at from
>wordwide perspective.  Most people on the planet are uneducated and
>illiterate, so it's not likely they've been exposed to the knowledge
>that E-o exists.

Actually, most people on the planet are neither
uneducted nor illiterate, these days; most have
been to school for at least a few years (though
most don't get the full twelve years that we
Americans put in), most can read. There may be a
billion or so people out of the going-on seven
billion on the planet who don't fall into this
category, but that's still a minority.

Still, schooling isn't where you hear of
Esperanto; it's on TV and in the newspapers. For
instance, every couple of years the Nepalese
Esperanto Association holds this tourist thing
where they invite people to come and trek with
them; a dozen or so usually show up, to wander
around in the foothills of the Himalayas or
whatever. Of course, this is a drop in the bucket
beside the regular tourist groups that come to
Nepal by the dozens, but it's interesting enough
because of the nature of the language that it
will make the Katmandu news, and people there hear of Esperanto in this way.

Esperanto shows up in unlikely places. I once
drove a Mayan girl from down around Lake Atitlan
to a hike up by Mt. Tamalpais; she was here
studying Esperanto in the summer courses at San
Francisco State University. Philippe Chavignon
wrote about the village he visited, outside
Kinshasa in the Congo, where everybody greeted
him on the street with "Saluton!" and "Bonan
matenon!" -- which may have been the extent of
their Esperanto, but they certainly had some idea
what the language was. I always enjoyed Edmond
Bordeaux-Szekely's anecdote about the chieftain
in the Pamir range with whom he tried to
communicate in four or five languages and finally
succeeded with Esperanto, because the man had
once picked up an old Esperanto textbook in a
bazaar and had studied the language. And, of
course, there was my wife's tale about her visit
to Hawai'i in 1991 when Andrzej Grzebowski and
Earl Galvin were walking through the Polynesian
Pavilion, talking in Esperanto, and one of the
dancers on the Marquesas Islands platform
stopped, listened, and then leaped down in front
of them and cried out: "C^u vi parolas en Esperanto???"

So I suspect that the number of people who are
familiar with Esperanto is considerably greater than you believe.

> > (*) They just don't
> > know anything about it except that it's an
> > "artificial language" (with, often, a few
> > additional fantasies added out of their own
> > imagination or out of some comment once made by
> > an equally ignorant columnist in a newspaper).
>
>I have only seen one small newspaper article about Esperanto (given to
>me by someone), but then again I don't generally mess with newspapers.
>I have seen a couple of references to it on Jeopardy.

Like the Final Jeopardy question at the end of
November? Apparently the winner won not by
answering the question correctly (everybody
answered it correctly!!! [*]), but by his betting strategy ...

---

(*) I missed it myself, but apparently the final
jeopardy answer went something like: "In this
language, spoken by more than a hundred thousand
people, all nouns end in -O". Everybody answered
"What is Esperanto?" Not one of them had no idea.

-- Don HARLOW