Those characters would mean something closer to mond(a)lingvo - Esperanto would be better written as xiwangyu (希望语) or hoping language.
Esperanto 的原意是"希望",如果将"世界语"这个汉语命名 直译成世界语的话会变成 Mondalingvo(Monda=世界的,lingvo=言语)。

2007/1/8, Carl Mäsak <[log in to unmask]>:
Donald (>):
> (*) If they are waiters in Chinese restaurants,
> recently arrived from China, not necessarily by
> that name, but "shi jie yu", or writing the
> corresponding ideographs on a napkin, usually
> gets a more knowledgeable response.

Would that be 世界语 (shi4 jie4 yu3)? It took me a few minutes to find,
but it seems like the reasonable candidate. The first two characters
mean "world", and the third is the commonly used character for
"language".

http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=4E16
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=754C
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=8BED

Do you know if this expression is used to refer only to Esperanto, or
to IALs in general?

// Carl

--
http://wiki.galbijim.com