On Dec 31, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Sally Caves wrote:

> This is a listserv for displaying and translating *invented*
> languages. And even so, not in such quantity.  If we go to such
> lengths, it's to offer and display our own long texts, already a
> sizeable challenge. The other challenges we like are Relay and
> translation challenges--into our own conlangs.  We're not so
> interested in helping somebody with their natlang homework, unless
> we get paid twenty dollars per double-spaced page. :)

This reminds me -- does anyone on this list do translation for money?
What are your experiences with it? I would somewhat like to do
English/Spanish translation (since I have this Spanish degree I'm
doing nothing with), but from people I've talked to it sounds like it
might not be something I could support myself on. Still, I'd like to
know how to go about getting into it, actually getting *good* at it
(I'm quite afraid that my Spanish is sub-par, especially after a few
years of not using it), and getting customers -- if anyone has such
info. Thanks!

(Oh, I forgot to mention also -- my impression is that $20 per double-
spaced page seems pretty optimistic; but then I'm pretty sure you
were being facetious.)