Jeffrey Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:29:45 -0500, Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > I think (in Kash) we could say "X differs/is different from Y" in one of
> > two ways:
> >
> > X yaçunu alo Y(gen.) '...is different from Y...' (where alo is also used
> > in
> > comparative constructions, lit. "different than") OR
> > X yaçunu liri Y(acc.) '...is different w.r.t. Y...'
>
> I think I want to make a distinction between "from" and "than"; I might
> want
> to say "John is more different from Tom than Fred is".

Since you bring it up...we'd have to repeat the verb in the 2nd "than"
clause (and use alo re instead, since a S follows):

John  yaçunu alo Tom/i lavi alo re Fred yaçunu
j. is-different from/than Tom more than THAT Fred is-diff. (from Tom,
understood) (I think the verb after Fred (nom.) could be omitted too, since
there is clearly a change of subject)

OTOH: "John is more different from Tom than (he is) from Fred."--
John yaçunu alo Tom/i lavi alo Fred/i
J. is-diff. from/than Tom/gen more from/than Fred/gen.

But admittedly there's a certain inelegance about it :-(((