>Leon Lin <leon_math@...> wrote:

>These have been confusing me to the point that I start to try to
>figure them out in public. People sometimes stare at me when I
>repeat a phoneme/word over and over again.

Been there; done that!

>Is there a sound difference between "back there" and "bat there"?

Image: A batter takes his batting stance in the dugout, ready to
swing.  The umpire points to the home plate & shouts, "No, bat
there!"

I have noticed that my Mexican parishioners often drop the first
consonant in a consonant cluster.  I haven't yet analyzed precisely
which ones.  "Back there" sounds like "/b{?/ there."  "I love pizza"
becomes "I /lV/ pizza."

Charlie
http://wiki.frath.net/senjecas