>On a somewhat unrelated note, I find myself wishing there were an IPA
>diacritic for "unaspirated", for cases when I wish to emphasize that aspect
>of a phone.  Obviously, the lack of the "aspirated" diacritic should be
>sufficient, in narrow phonetic transcription, to indicate a corresponding
>lack of aspiration, but if the associated sound is usually aspirated it
>would be useful to be able to show that lack explicitly... in general, a
>"negation" operator would seem to be helpful.  But then we're starting to
>veer dangerously in the direction of feature notation...
>
>--
>Mark J. Reed

The extIPA uses a superscript equality sign ("=") for just that. Also, as a
combining subscript, it is used to mark coronals as explicitely alveolar,
which is handy too. And there's more along similar lines; I suggest you
check it out yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExtIPA

John Vertical

Uutisista turhaan tietoon. Mitä ikinä etsitkin, MSN Search löytää hakemasi.
http://search.msn.fi