On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:24:55 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>li [MacLeod Dave] mi tulis la
>

>> We need to bring a few Romans back from the dead to make fun of people
>> with that attitude. "What's that you call a clavis now, a clé? What
>> the hell is a clé? And how the f*&k did you turn aqua into eau? Start
>> using real Latin again and then we can talk about what's corrupt." -
>> complete with rolling eyes.
>
>That's just the point.  If S. Europe would have stuck to Latin as a
>means of communication and had the backing of universal education then
>Latin would be *the* language rather than so many Romance languages.

That conceivably could have happened.  Look at what happened to German —
despite many wide-ranging dialects, standard German remains the unifying
language — with the exception of Dutch, which for a number of reasons
came to be regarded as not-German, so that much unity was lost.

Dialects are fine, and language change is fine.  What's not fine is the loss
of a unifying language.