Dear Sir --

I beg your pardon that I did not immediately answer your important
letter of Feb. 14, because I am always terribly busy.

I heartily thank you for the circular you sent about M. Corret's
project. Let's hope that the undertaken matter will bring much good tsperanto.

In re Javal, I have already send an obituary article to the "Revuo";
for "Lingvo Internacia" I could only repeat the same thing, which of
course would be interesting for the readers.

Now about the corrections in the Universala Vortaro. The majority of
the corrections made I completely accept; only about a few do I wish
to make the following observations:

1) I don't understand very well, why you suggest (for "infekti") the
translation "contaminer" instead of "infecter". Can one "contaminer"
someone with his ilness, his good humnor, etc.? It seems to me that
"contaminer" has a somewhat different meaning. Am I wrong?

2) Next to several words (pumpi, elspezi, grio, komunii, marko,
s^uldi) I found the expression "a good translation in all languages",
which I don't understand at all. What did you mean by this? If the
translation is good, then why are you talking about it?

3) "Stamp" can be equally well translated by a verb (stampi) and a
noun (stampo); if you find that it's necessary to give for this root
in languages an *equal* translation, then I would prefer to give for
all languages the translation with a *verb* (like the translations in
German, Russian and Polish). The action is: *stampi*; the result:
*stampo*; the tool: *stampilo".

4) "StTuckaturen" is not a plural, but a *verb*. [added footnote:
"The addressee here quite correctly notes: "ce verbe n' existe pas en
allemand".] For this word (as for "stamp") I intended to give the
root a *verbal* meaning.

5) For "akus^i" I advise conserving its *in*transitive meaning (which
it has in the Universala Vortaro). The uncertainty about this word
was caused by the following circumstance: five or six years ago M. de
Beaufront wrote me that because of the word "akus^istino" it's
necessary to give "akus^i" a transitive meaning. Because M. B.'s
reasoning at that time seemed correct to me, and because the
Universala Vortaro at that time did not yet have any kind of
character of untouchability, so, confused by M. B's arguments, I
agreed that he should give "akus^i" a transitive meaning in his
dictionary. In that sence the word afterwards also went into all
other dictionaries and caused confusion, and I also put it into the
German-Esperanto dictionary. Now, because the Universala Vortaro has
to remain untouchable, I advise conserving for the word its
*previous" meaning, the more so becaus that meaning is also more
correct, logical and convenient. The existence of the word
"akus^istino" should not confuse us at all, because everyone will
easily understand that "akus^istino" means not "a woman who
professionally gives birth", but "a woman whose professional business
consists of matters of giving birth" (does not occupy herself with
the process of giving birth but with the occurrences of giving birth).

6) "Domag^o" does not have the meaning of "loss" (malprofito). The
real meaning of the Esperanto "domag^i" is approximately: not to want
to spend, not to want to lose, not to want to damage. For example:
"li ne ac^etis la libron, c^ar li domag^is la monon; li ne eliris en
la plurva vetero, c^ar li domag^is sian veston; li forkuris de la
batalo, c^ar li domag^is sian vivon". Sometimes the meaning of
"domag^o" is very near to the meaning of "bedau^ro" (e.g.: "kia
domag^o!" = kiel bedau^rinde = what a loss (or damage) that I didn't
want to have!).

7) "Ekstr' can be not only adverbial, but also adjectival.

8) "Gargari" - to wash by *shaking* a fluid; consequently one can
"gargari" not only the throat, but also a glass, etc.

9) "Lui" means only *to take* a rental; (to let = luigi).

To publish the list of the corrected words together with all my
observations in the "Lingvo Internacia" I on my part give my complete
permission; but I would advise you also to ask M. Boirac's permission.