Steve Rice wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:11:42 +0900, MacLeod Dave
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> A great game to translate into an IAL is Angband. The text is just on
>> a .dat file so you can just go into Notepad and do it.
>
> Wouldn't that leave the commands unchanged, though?
>
> An alternative (for the more ambitious) would be Interactive Fiction (IF), like
> the old Infocom games. TADS 3 ( http://tads.org/tads3.htm ) even supports
> Unicode and HTML, and it's set up so that the verbs and other words can all
> be put into another language. (There is a kind of object-oriented language for
> managing events, locations, items, and characters. You can also rework the
> parser.) The result would be an interactive short story where the reader has
> to tell the program what to do next, and the usage could be fairly naturalistic.
>
> Another possibility is QML ( http://www.questml.com/ ), though I've had
> problems with it. (My system doesn't run Javascript well for some reason.) It's
> simpler and not set up for parsing input the way TADS does.
>
> Is anyone interested in taking on one of these?

There's no I way I could currently do it, but it reminds me of the time...

On my good old Commodore 64 I had a program to create text adventures.
I made one (in English) where the player had to learn Esperanto in order
to enter the Esperanto meeting at a restaurant and win the game.  I had
the whole thing done and then realized I misspelled restaurant.  This
after I deleted the working files.

Ah, the good old days.  Who'd think we'd need more than 64K of memory?

Dave

--
Mi neniam forgesu la akuzativo... n!