How is it OT to talk about games that could/should be translated into
IAL languages for practice/exposure...

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> li [Dave Rutan] mi tulis la
>
>>> Maybe an online version would help?  E-istoj could meet and
>> play each other online and chat while they do it just like on
>> Yahoo Games.
>>
>> This page seems to have some games in Esperanto which are
>> downloadable.
>>   I'm not much of a computer gamer, so I haven't checked them out.
>> There also seems to be links to places which might have human
>> interaction.
>
> I'm not a gamer either but do like to play online chess sometimes on Yahoo. I don't much any more because the yahoos at Yahoo came out with a new version that is fancier (and much more buggy) than the previous version and it's aggravating as hell to use.
>

>>> While we are at it, why not some other classics like Risk?
>> I mention this because I actually started creating a world
>> map with all the country names in Sasxsek.  The same could be
>> done for any conlang.  How about other online games in E-o so
>> players could chat while playing, maybe chess, checkers,
>> backgammon, etc.?   I think little things like this can go a
>> long way toward promoting interest in a conlang, IAL or not.
>>
>> The thing is, because of all the verbal interaction of Monopoly, I
>> thought it was an ideal game to 'recreate' in Esperanto.  Others are
>> possible.
>
> Well most of these games are social in nature anyway so I think they all would be good to promote interaction and conversation.  That's why I suggested online games rather than having something that someone simply plays at home.

Some are social.  While chess and cribbage involve 2 players, just ry
having a conversation while playing.  Monopoly just seems to breed
conversation because of the interaction: begging for money, complaining
about the roll on the dice, etc.

>> I once spent many hours translating the PRINT statements in
>> Telengard on
>> my Commodore 64 into Esperanto.  Can't vouch for the accuracy at the
>> time (I'm notoriously bad at translating,) but it was fun.
>
> Back in my earlier Apple II and even into the early IBM PC days, I used to do similar things.  I actually went a step further and found the messages with a disk sector editing program and would change them to whatever I wanted to see.  I even changed the message on the original 128K Mac to Russian one time after creating a Russian font for it.
>
> My boldest move was to modify and reprogram the Apple II Monitor (BIOS) to run the text from right to left, then I replaced the font chip too with a hebrew font and had a hebrew capable computer, though it was at the expense of losing the Roman script due to hardware limitations on how many characters could be available.  The original AII didn't support lower case letters, at least not from the factory it didn't.

I recall writing a very rudimentary program in Koplushian that was
supposed to tie together all the bits of language, history and culture
we had amassed about the fictional universe we created.  It didn't get
very far, but it was in a fictional universe's IAL.

--
La lokomotivo estas tre scivola. Konstante gxi diras Cxu, cxu, cxu, cxu...