On 2/24/07, Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In fact, I'm not sure if a
> big body of literature is a positive or negative
> thing. It would seem, to me, to lead to the danger of
> solidifying the language into something with "rights"
> and "wrongs" like a national language. Although this
> might be difficult, I almost think it would be best
> for a language designer to resist the creation of a
> solid body of literature and just use the language for
> communication.

Language is, among other things, a system of norms, so there will always be
right wrong ways to use it.  Among the users of any language, there will be
those who care about such things more than others.  Language is also, to use
Bourdieu's term, "symbolic capital."  It is a way of asserting or revealing
one's status.  As long as there are differences in status, language will be
one of the ways of marking such differences.  "Preferred" usages emerge.  I
think the goal of a language without preferred forms is hopeless.

And as Don pointed out, regardless of the designer's opinions about auxlang
literature, if enough people use the language, some *will* use it to make
literature.  This is one of the things that people do with a written
language.  I also happen to think it's a good thing.  I would not be
interested in learning a language in which there is no literature.

Todd