On 2/25/07, auliuniv <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The big three are listed as Esperanto, Ido and/or Interlingua.
> However, the second or third could very well be Dutton Speedwords.
> Why? Because I have found out that it is being used by many people
> using it for their personal note taking. That is not, necessarily, for purposes of
> international language usage.
> But, it is still being used that way anyway, and Speedwords is classed
> as an international doublespeed language.

Hello! Could you please provide some testimonials? I would like to see
some websites where people declare they use Speedwords for personal
note taking. It would be very interesting to read about their
feelings. :)

> Next, I have this question.
>
> Don mentioned the Occidental list and its lack of activity.
>
> Well, let's look at possible reasons why.
> First, the person from Germany who, as I recall, had last control over
> the list was an Esperantist. When I was a member just a couple months back I looked at
> the membership list. Guess what? Most were esperantists and/or interlinguaists. Folks
> who theoretically have no desire for the language to grow.

There is nothing that forbids someone of liking two or more auxlangs.
This mindset of "Highlander language competition" does not apply to
all auxlang speakers. In fact, I would guess *most* of them are not
bothered by the increase of membership in other auxlang communities.
I, for instance, am an Interlingua speaker which is not subscribed to
Esperanto and Ido lists, but I desire that the membership of the Ido
and Esperanto communities increase because auxlang communities are a
nice way to form international friendship links. And more friendships
in humankind is always something good. Speaking auxlangs is a harmless
hobby.

Why would someone uninterested in a language subscribe to a discussion
list about that language? I couldn't provide a reason for this. I
think that, if someone is subscribed to a discussion list, it is
because he is interested in the subject. No?

> Now, that's one of the problems for the Occidental list. But, that begs the question, what
> about Esperanto, Ido, and ILa? How many members on those lists are really listed still, but
> are "bouncers"? How many are "doubles"? How many are Esperantists on the ILa and Ido
> lists just to keep us, so to speak, with the competition.

Frankly, in my opinion someone that subscribes fake e-mail addresses
to lists just to inflate numbers is a lunatic. I do not think it
happens often, if at all. It sounds like a conspiracy theory.

I am subscribed to at least four Interlingua lists because I am
interested in the subject of each list, not because I want to inflate
numbers. I guess it is the same for most (sane) people who are
subscribed to more than one list.

> It seems from looking at quite a few lists that we have a lot of the same people doing double
> duty on these lists. Either to help them, or to hinder them, or to watch them????

How a "mute" participant (lurker) of a list can hinder discussions? A
lurker does not add, but also does not subtract.

> Don't know
> which is the correct answer if not something else, like, "hey, I'm just curious about all of
> them." That still means, the numbers are not what they appear to be.
>
> Bottom line: with this kind of experience going on with these "international languages" how
> can they ever really grow until each group is a group of real "believers" and pushes each
> language to see how far they can and will go?

I think that the number of members in discussion lists by e-mail does
not matter much for the "fina venko" of an auxlang. For the language
to achieve success as the major de facto auxlang, it needs a really
huge community of speakers in the real world, something that not even
the biggest of them (the Esperanto community) has.

Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues