On 2/22/07, Dave Rutan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Todd Moody wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:26 pm, Dave Rutan wrote:
> >> Anyone remember a simple program that simulated a psychologist?  I
> >> translated a BASIC version of that too.  Can't seem to even find it on
> >> the internet anymore.
> >
> > That would be ELIZA.
> >
> > Todd Moody
>
> I've googled Eliza.  The program was also called such things as DOCTOR,
> Dr. Eliza, etc. I cannot find anything resembling the old ELIZA program
> that could be altered.  It might be that either it's too old-fashioned
> or something better has come along which I can't find.

Yes, ELIZA was Joseph Weizenbaum's original program, from the 1960s, and I
guess it had a number of incarnations in MS-DOS and CP/M as DOCTOR and other
things.  Antonielly mentioned ALICE, at http://alicebot.org, by Richard
Wallace.  Inspired by ELIZA, Wallace developed the AIML system for writing
so-called "chatbots," so the possibility exists to create one that speaks
Esperanto or any other language.  It's a lot of work, of course.

Another chatbot, that works along very different lines, is
http://jabberwacky.com.  This one already knows a bit of Esperanto, and many
other languages, since it learns from its interlocutors.

Dave

> PS (Todd is the 'other' fellow I remember from Compuserve days on FLEFO.)

Wow...a blast from the past!

Todd