Dana Nutter wrote:
> li [Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues] mi tulis la
>
>> On 2/21/07, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Actually I'm in the minority here, but don't see any real value to
>> > retaining languages.  They are a means to communication.  Whether a
>> > particular language is used or not really doesn't matter
>> much as long as
>> > people are able to convey their messages.  Languages have been going
>> > extinct since long before anyone knew there was such a thing as
>> > "language".  I don't really think these minority languages
>> needs to be
>> > protected, but it does make a lot of sense to at least
>> document them for
>> > historical purposes.
>> >

>> That political opinion is one of many. It is a very controversial
>> subject. Check some laymen opinions here:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/664149.stm
>
> I realize it's very controversial.  Unfortunately too many can't see the
> practical value of sticking to a single language.

History has many lessons about this. The period of Russification is still
painfully remembered in Finland and probably in other non-Russian parts of
the Russian and later the Soviet empire. In 1808 Sweden lost Finland to
Russia in a war. At that time the question was, should we the Finns keep
the language of our established Swedish elite or adopt the language of our
new Russian masters. Arvidson and Snellman (both ironically Swedish names)
created the famous motto: "We are not Swedes and we don't want to become
Russians, so let us be Finns!" Looking back now, when the Finnish language
is well at the level of both Swedish and Russian, that was the right path
to take.

So I wouldn't advice Anglification nor Francification to Cameroon. A
better solution would be to support the local languages that have already
become de facto lingua francas, i.e. Beti in south, Adamawa Fulfulde in
north and pidgin in the centre. Maybe that wouldn't unify the nation, but
that's because there was no nation to be unified in the first place, there
was only an idea of a nation yet to be created.

-- Risto Kupsala