li [Antonielly Garcia Rodrigues] mi tulis la

> I understand your economical analysis, and it makes sense from an
> economical point of view. The problem is that not everything is or
> should be analysed with economist's eyes. Many people do not look to
> the issue with economist's eyes, but with cultural appreciator's eyes.
> See this (from the website I pointed to before):
>
> I think that Gaelic is an important part of Scottish History and
> should not be killed of because English is the official Language,
> naturally most people who speak Gaelic are bilingual, but that is not
> the point. In Wales all sign posts and signs are in both English &
> Welsh, so I think that Gaelic should not be killed off. Long Live the
> Gaelic Language!
> David Mingay, UK

Gaelic is an important part of Scottish *history* (=the past), but is
there really any point to keeping it around for the future.  Irish
culture still thrives even though few people in Ireland actually speak
Irish anymore.  Does it really matter that Scotland, Ireland and Wales
now speak English?

Nobody's saying to kill off these languages, but there's no need to put
them on artificial life support either.

> What's wrong with preserving one's language and heritage?? Why should
> people be forced to lose a language to the allmighty English. Granted
> English is the modern language spoken throughout the world, but
> holding onto a heritage is highly powerful and important to one's
> identity.
> Randy, USA

I suppose to someone who is so psychologically insecure that he/she
needs some group association to boost his/her self-esteem then it's
important.

> Well it's useful to remember that Gaelic is not just a beautiful
> language - there are cultural elements as well. Lose one and you
> invariably lose the other.
> Simon Redding, England

Again, both Irish and Scottish cultures are still alive and well even
though few speak the original Celtic languages.  I don't doubt that they
are beautiful languages, but so is English.

> They are the vessel that store people's culture and identity and must
> therefore be preserved. If we let beautiful languages like Welsh or
> any of the UK's community languages die out we would lose an
> immeasurable amount of literature and culture which we could not
> recover.
> A lot of people with English as their second language are
> disadvantaged in their dealings with official bodies in having to deal
> in English, They should be given facilities to conduct their business
> in their own mother tongue. People deserve respect for their own
> culture and should be able to use their mother tongue wherever
> necessary.
> Jason Thomas Williams, UK (Welsh but living in London)

Latin is dead.  It's literature lives on in translations.

> We cannot convince everybody that the issue should be analysed with
> economical lenses. The controversy occurs because different people
> have different values: some people think the economical analysis
> should prevail, while other think the cultural preservation efforts
> should prevail.

And the cultural preservationists will condemn people to poverty and
other social ills that plague most minority groups in the name of some
PC need to "preserve" them.  By that logic, it's time we preserved the
culture of the South by bringing back slavery.  After all, it's a very
big part of the cultural history of the region!