Don HARLOW wrote:
> Je 12.54 ptm 2007.02.24, Isaac PENZEV skribis
>>Risto Kupsala wrote:
>>
>> > For that reason I appreciate the policy taken in some other African
>> > countries where at least the elementary education is given in a native
>> > language and former colonial language is taught as a subject, before
>> > switching completely to the former colonial language at higher level
>> of
>> > education.
>>
>>This is also a policy in many autonomous regions of the Russian
>> Federation,
>>like Udmurtia, Sahha-Yakutia, Daghestan etc.
>>
>>-- Y.
>
> As a Swedish report showed a couple of weeks ago, it would be better
> to keep going in the native language of the student rather than
> switching to a secondary language of instruction.

Yes, in general students learn better in their native language than in any
foreign language which they don't master fluently.

> However, one may
> suppose that it is easier (though perhaps more expensive) to import
> textbooks than to develop instructional materials locally. In the
> long run, a false savings, I suspect.

Developing instruction material locally means in many cases also
development of new terminology which would benefit everybody who use that
language. Just as an example, the translation of the 1992 constitution of
the Republic of Congo from French to Kituba and Lingala required creation
of new administrative and legal terminology. The same would

By the way, here's a link to an grammar of Kituba (called Monokutuba in
the book itself) from 1953 (probably the first one written for this
"patois") that I typed in this weekend. If you are interested in contact
languages and able to read French, it could give you interesting insights
about a contact language based on indigeneous African languages. (Kituba
is greatly simplified compared to original Kikongo and other traditional
Bantu languages.)
http://www.kupsala.net/risto/kongo/monokotuba.html

-- Risto Kupsala